Kitamura Computers (UK) Support

Welcome to the support forum for customers of Kitamura Computers UK!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: asus p4s333 motherboard
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:39 pm 

hi all, my desktop is based on this mobo. i have tried upgrading it with various components. originally had p4 2000mhz celeron chip with 512 mb ram. since upgraded ram to 3gig, cpu 3.06 533fsb, radeon x1950 512mb video card. it worked okay for a few months, performance was great for me until one day, i heard a revving noise, like someone revving a car engine. if im not wrong, this was from the hard drive. i powered if off and it shut down fine.

however, when i attempt to switch back on, the fans kick in but it fails to make the beeping sound from bios. fans keep spinning but thats about it. i have tried replacing the original cpu to see if it boots but nothing. checked cpu in other systems and it works fine. the mobo has a green light to indicate it is connected to power supply, this comes on as well as fans but it will not boot.

i have tried googling this problem and someone suggested it may be a psu problem, perhaps the psu could not cope with the components i have upgraded?

what do you think, do i need a more powerful psu?

please advise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

omondi wrote:
hi all, my desktop is based on this mobo. i have tried upgrading it with various components. originally had p4 2000mhz celeron chip with 512 mb ram. since upgraded ram to 3gig, cpu 3.06 533fsb, radeon x1950 512mb video card. it worked okay for a few months, performance was great for me until one day, i heard a revving noise, like someone revving a car engine. if im not wrong, this was from the hard drive. i powered if off and it shut down fine.

That revving noise is what worries me. Did the system actually crash, freeze or the screen go blank when it did it, or any Blue Screens of Death?

omondi wrote:
however, when i attempt to switch back on, the fans kick in but it fails to make the beeping sound from bios. fans keep spinning but thats about it. i have tried replacing the original cpu to see if it boots but nothing. checked cpu in other systems and it works fine. the mobo has a green light to indicate it is connected to power supply, this comes on as well as fans but it will not boot.

i have tried googling this problem and someone suggested it may be a psu problem, perhaps the psu could not cope with the components i have upgraded?

what do you think, do i need a more powerful psu?

please advise

I do think this is a power supply issue. That green light on the motherboard doesn't actually indicate what's known as Power_Good, it's a signal from the PSU that tells the board it's safe to power up. The LED only tells you there's voltage getting to the board, it doesn't mean the correct voltage is there. I have a horrible feeling the PSU may have developed a fault, with the revving symptom you mentioned, it sounds like either a fan, or the hard drive has been overpowered by a surge, which can mean component failure.

If your PSU has surged internally, and this excess voltage has got to the components, there's a good chance something's fried. Normally internal faults are stopped by the PSU protection circuitry, but depending on the quality, the protection circuitry could be cheap.

Post here what PSU you're using, like with your 8640, and I can advise further. Testing with another PSU is your best bet, then we can get a good idea if it is a fault. I'll work with you all the way.

Another thing to check, is that your 12v Aux connector is connected, it's a square 4 pin connector, with black and yellow wires. Check it for me, to make sure it's seated, it should click when seated correctly.

James (Kitamura Computers Director)

james at kitamuracomputers dot com

Post subject: p4s333
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:17 pm 

hi, thanx again for super fast reply,

12v aux connector is connected. i have had a look at the psu, WTSC MPT-300 OUTPUT 300W max. At the bottom it has different figures (+5v & +3.3v TOTAL OUTPUT 160W)

I am not sure what these figures mean, is there a more powerful psu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm 

just to add, the system did not crash after the revving noise, no blue screen or anything like that, i followed the shut down procedure from windows vista

Post subject: Re: p4s333
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

omondi wrote:
hi, thanx again for super fast reply,

12v aux connector is connected. i have had a look at the psu, WTSC MPT-300 OUTPUT 300W max. At the bottom it has different figures (+5v & +3.3v TOTAL OUTPUT 160W)

I am not sure what these figures mean, is there a more powerful psu?

The 300W MAX is the total Wattage of all the voltage rails (12v, 5v, 12v Aux and 3.3v), and the 160W is the total output wattage on the +5v & +3.3v.

Your system is an older P4 with AGP, and Socket 478 instead of a newer Socket 775 with PCI-Express, and there are quite a lot of slots on your board, 5 PCI if I'm not wrong. How many expansion cards apart from the AGP card are there, and how many memory sticks?

I'm trying to work out how much voltage plus Wattage you're using. Your memory sticks work on 2.5v each (DDR), and PCI is 3.3v

I don't think 300W is enough, I used to struggle on a heavily loaded 478 board with a 400W.

Your best bet is to get hold of a 450W or 500/550W PSU, and try that, but be careful, if your board has blown, damage could result to the new PSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

omondi wrote:
just to add, the system did not crash after the revving noise, no blue screen or anything like that, i followed the shut down procedure from windows vista

I thought that was what you meant. I think the PSU has given up on final shutdown. Starting a PC is stressful on a power supply, and I think it's too damaged or worn out to start again. Try a new PSU as above, and if that doesn't work, we'll logically try other things. Make sure the new PSU is a KNOWN working one, otherwise we'll run in circles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:15 pm 

thanks for that, i shall try to obtain a new psu and feed back.
meanwhile in reply to your question, yes there are 5 expansion slots on my board. apart from agp card, i have an ethernet port, a dial up modem and a usb expansion card. i have never used the dial up modem, always used the ethernet card for my broadband connection and the usb card for my various peripherals. the other pci slots are vacant.

there are 3 ddr memory banks which i had populated with 1gig sticks giving me a total of 3gig ram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

omondi wrote:
thanks for that, i shall try to obtain a new psu and feed back.
meanwhile in reply to your question, yes there are 5 expansion slots on my board. apart from agp card, i have an ethernet port, a dial up modem and a usb expansion card. i have never used the dial up modem, always used the ethernet card for my broadband connection and the usb card for my various peripherals. the other pci slots are vacant.

there are 3 ddr memory banks which i had populated with 1gig sticks giving me a total of 3gig ram

Take the dial up modem out, it doesn't make sense leaving it in wearing out and using power if it's not needed. Keep it safe in case it is ever needed, though. It frees you a slot for other things, too :smt003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:20 pm 

hello again, just to update, I have bought a new cpu branded win power. it is a 500W one, fitted it but still no joy. The green LED on the motherboard still lights up when connected and the cpu fan spins but that is about as far as it goes. normally after switching it on, there was that beep sound from the speaker then we got into bios or if there was a problem a series of beeps, but nothing now. It looks as though there may still be some life on this board though it just fails to POST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

omondi wrote:
hello again, just to update, I have bought a new cpu branded win power. it is a 500W one, fitted it but still no joy. The green LED on the motherboard still lights up when connected and the cpu fan spins but that is about as far as it goes. normally after switching it on, there was that beep sound from the speaker then we got into bios or if there was a problem a series of beeps, but nothing now.

Right, Omondi, time for some logical process of elimination. It could be ANYTHING stopping this starting, could even be the motherboard.

The remaining steps we need to check are the following:

Take ALL PCI cards out for these steps, and try running it without them. Do you have another PC that starts you could borrow bits from? Don't go spending money, this fault could be anything, maybe more than one problem.

1. RAM. Change with a known working stick, and just use one stick. Try your existing sticks, one at a time, and another stick from somewhere else that you know works.

2. Graphics Card. Swap out with a known working one, and try. IF YOUR MACHINE HAS ONBOARD GRAPHICS, remove the AGP card, it could be this, although the computer would still POST, it'd just give a 'beeeep, beep, beep' code, 1 long 2 short, which is AGP graphics failure.

3. CPU

My advice is to do what I do. Cannibalise another PC, and put ALL the components (CPU, RAM, and Graphics) in the ailing machine. If it starts, then replace your ORIGINAL parts, one by one, until the computer stops POSTing again.

If none of that works, your motherboard has had it, and will need to be replaced. Be careful though, other parts might be dead, that's why I've suggested cannibalising a working one, otherwise you'll be running in circles!

omondi wrote:
It looks as though there may still be some life on this board though it just fails to POST

Yes, it could just be a faulty component that's been damaged, but... it could also be your motherboard is faulty. Faulty boards will often power on (fans, lights, etc) but there's a break in a circuit somewhere, stopping it fully starting.

The way you said you managed to shut it down fine has baffled me, but the revving noise worried me, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:22 pm 

hello, just to update; I have tried everything with this motherboard as you suggested and still nothing. I can confirm the cpu, ram modules and video card work on another board. I got a known working graphics card from a different system which has failed to work on this board so can honestly say I give up!

What I need to know now is how to transfer my copy of vista home premium to another machine as it is stuck on this ailing machine, would microsoft be able to assist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

omondi wrote:
hello, just to update; I have tried everything with this motherboard as you suggested and still nothing. I can confirm the cpu, ram modules and video card work on another board. I got a known working graphics card from a different system which has failed to work on this board so can honestly say I give up!

What I need to know now is how to transfer my copy of vista home premium to another machine as it is stuck on this ailing machine, would microsoft be able to assist?

I had a feeling it was your board. Vista lets you activate it up to 4 times without ringing Microsoft. Just put the hard drive in your new setup, and install the relevant drivers. Windows will ask for activation, activate as normal over the Internet, you shouldn't have to put your product key in again. It will all be just the way it was again! No re-installation of Windows/programs/documents needed!