Kitamura Computers (UK) Support

Welcome to the support forum for customers of Kitamura Computers UK!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

As a company, we value our users' and customers' enjoyment, pleasure and safety of the use of our services. Therefore, we do our best to ensure your security, whilst in, and using, our online services.

Concerning the topic of spammers, and spambots, we ask our customers/users to abide by the following:

1. If you suspect a spammer has posted in reply to/in the same topic as you, DO NOT reply to it. If the spammer is a human, and not a bot, this could simply fuel its behaviour, and it will continue. Please notify the Director (Tidus), or a member of our Forum Moderation team, who will take action.

2. If our Moderator Team spot a spammer, or suspect a spammer has registered, we will simply delete it, and block the username it used, to hopefully stop it coming back, and/or it's email domain if it is suspected to be a fake one.

To prevent your account from being accidentally deleted, please do not use silly names when registering, as this is what they do. If you find you can no longer log in, contact us, with your original account information, and we will re-register you, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

3. If a spammer posts sexual, inappropriate, or offensive material, notify us, and the post(s), plus the spammer, will be removed. If the spammer seems to be human, with a genuine email (some actually are), we email them, warning that we will take action if this continues. Kitamura is a company, not just a forum, and we do not tolerate inappropriate/offensive, and/or illegal material in our Forum.

We hope our customers and users are happy with this policy, and will assist us in improving it.

We are looking into improving our spambot blocking software, as the forum verification code at registration no longer seems to stop them.

Update 10 July 2007: All new users registering CANNOT activate their accounts themselves, it must be done by a Moderator or the Director. PLEASE make sure a valid email address is provided on registration.

James (Kitamura Computers Director)

james at kitamuracomputers dot com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I have now modified the forum code with the Anti-bot Question Mod, to stop spammers registering. Since i enabled Admin Account Activation, they weren't able to post, but the constant registering of spammer users with profane and offensive names, plus the amount of bounced welcome emails back to my company inbox, started to get on my nerves. We had a complaint from a visitor about these, so i finally decided to nip it in the bud.

Anti Bot Question Mod will ask users random questions, using a mixture of arithmetic, general knowledge, and other questions, using text and images. This fools spambots, as with the forum CAPTCHA, the generated character/number sequence you previously had to enter, this mod does not use code to generate the images, so bots cannot see them, and they get kicked before the registration completes, as when they get stuck, the bot script will simply fill in what details it can, and jump straight to the Submit button. Our ABQ Mod will then kick them, pure and simple, no messing.

If any of our users have difficulty with ANY of the questions, i need you to contact me. There is a contact link on the Agreement page. I can then change the questions, so that it is easy for our human customers, but impossible for bot scripts.

We may still get human spammers registering, but i shall deal with these. Legal action has worked in the past, and it will work again!

I hope you all support my use of these procedures, and will assist me in making the bot barrier stronger. This is all part of our company InterWeb overhaul, we're making changes to the way our web portal works, feels, and functions, and i need customer feedback to help improve my services to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Due to the success of the Anti Bot Mod, as of June 2009, the Admin Activation of accounts has been turned off, so users can now jump straight in and post after registering.

This follows several months strenuous monitoring of the system, and I'm now confident that spammers aren't getting in.