Kitamura Computers (UK) Support

Welcome to the support forum for customers of Kitamura Computers UK!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There's a slight design flaw I've noticed on these machines that actually causes loss of airflow. On the top of the button panel, at the right, is the fan vent. This is where the fan sucks in air, as well as from underneath the laptop.

Underneath this vent is some metal mesh that was designed as a filter. However, it blocks airflow when dust gets clogged inbetween the holes of the mesh, and the top vent holes in the button panel, and cleaning it out is impossible, as the mesh is plastic welded to the panel, and dust gets trapped between them.

I have found that actually removing this mesh using a craft knife actually gives the system a lot more airflow, whilst stopping big clumps of debris from getting in. There might be the downside of there being more dust in the fan and heatsink over time, but that's easier than having the computer suffocating.

To remove the mesh, remove the button panel as in my heatsink cleaning tutorial, and then turn the panel over. You'll see the mesh, and plastic weld pins. Lift the mesh between two of the pins so there is a bit of clearance between the mesh and plastic, and, using a thin blade knife in the gap you made, move left and right to break the welds, on all sides, and remove the mesh. You might as well discard it, as it cannot be re-welded.

Replace the panel, and you'll probably notice your fan staying slower and turning off more frequently under little load, and the area around the vent on the button panel being cooler. You might want to clean your heatsink out and replace thermal paste while you're there, maximise the effect!

I've done this for about 14 customers, and across both Intel & AMD models of this range this has been 100% successful. I have also done it on my personal Advent 7036 and 7046 machines at home before I started doing it commercially.

James (Kitamura Computers Director)

james at kitamuracomputers dot com