Kitamura Computers (UK) Support

Welcome to the support forum for customers of Kitamura Computers UK!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hello all,

I read with great interest an archieve item from Mr Kitamura.

The 8640 had many harware evolutions and little exact infomation is available...

My Question:

I have an early Platinum version of the 8640 it's actually a Gericom with Nvidia graphic chip set. The BIOS is Rev 1.0 and appears to be limited to 2.4 ghz processor.

Is it possible to update this mother board with the BIOS latest rev 1.08 as I want to use a 3.06 Desktop processor with Hyperthreading Techno.
I have a 3.06 based version of this laptop, an ADVENT 7055 but it has the SIS chipset and will not play some of my sons simple pc games as they need a 'special rendering feature' that SIS graphic does not support.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, b.t.w. I have located the BIOS for the Rev 1.08 but I dare not use it until I am confident that I won't brick-it!

Thanks in advance for any ideas that will point me in the good direction.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi 8640,

I've moved your question, it should have been posted in the Laptop section, not General Chat.

8640 wrote:

My Question:

I have an early Platinum version of the 8640 it's actually a Gericom with Nvidia graphic chip set. The BIOS is Rev 1.0 and appears to be limited to 2.4 ghz processor.

Is it possible to update this mother board with the BIOS latest rev 1.08 as I want to use a 3.06 Desktop processor with Hyperthreading Techno.
I have a 3.06 based version of this laptop, an ADVENT 7055 but it has the SIS chipset and will not play some of my sons simple pc games as they need a 'special rendering feature' that SIS graphic does not support.

The Platinum version only supports Mobile processors. The official limit was 2.4GHz at the time of manufacture. The mobile and desktop CPU's used in these look identical, but are not interoperable. The last time I tried compatibility tests, the machine failed to POST, even with the latest BIOS.

If you're only playing simple games, the HT or higher clock speed shouldn't matter. SiS IGP graphics aren't up to much, but the GeForce Go in the 8640 Platinum supports advanced hardware acceleration, plus hardware TnL (Transform & Lighting, which are texture shader features).

What games are they exactly? Can you confirm to me if your machine has a MiniPCI slot (should be under one of the covers underneath)?. What is the exact model string on the label? It will have 8640 plus a letter in brackets, such as "8640(D)"

James (Kitamura Computers Director)

james at kitamuracomputers dot com